Sunday, September 7, 2008

Alaskan Bear Story called The Death of us all, or so we thought.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, gather around and hold tight to the driver car seat. Not because you need to go to the bathroom and can not hold it anymore but because the story of your life is about to start. It was a beautiful morning at the Klutina river in the midst of the Alaskan wilderness. I was going fishing for the big King Salmon, (the biggest of all river fish). Don (Stacie's dad), my friend Mike and I were having a slow morning trying to catch these suck wad kings but I am very stubborn so I did not give up. Don felt sleepy so he went to a nearby tree and made a comfy seat in the dirt and fell asleep leaning against the tree. I looked out into the river and saw a river raft drifting down the white rapids. The people inside the raft were looking in our direction. The people then started to take pictures of us. I wondered why? I was not all dolled up or anything, I was just fishing for goodness sakes. Shortly after the raft took the pictures, the woman on the raft yelled "BEAR"! I looked behind me and saw a black bear three feet away from Don. Don apparently heard the women yell BEAR as well because I have never seen anybody move so fast as he did. He sprung up out of his cozy bed like a spring chicken. He ran straight into the river for safety. Well there is not any safety in the river because bears swim you know. At the same time Don sprung up the bear was startled and ran into the forest about ten feet away. I realized that my backpack and camera was over by Don's bed. Me and Don had a wonderful idea to sneak over and grab our packs. We scurried to the left watching the bears every movement. As soon as we were close to the bags, the bear looked straight at me, stood up and walked towards me and Don. I felt fear at this moment. At this point Don made a joke. Wrong timing but funny now. He said that he heard you do not need to outrun a bear you just need to outrun your friend to survive a bear attack. LOL huh? Well we scurried to the right and were trapped between the river and the path where the bear was. The fear hit Don at this point and he started yelling over and over, "we are dead, We are dead!". Mike yelled that we are not dead but we need to "play dead" in the river. I told Don and Mike that we need to make a plan. We either fight the bear or jump in the river, either way we knew we did not have much of a chance to survive. The bear started to tear apart our bags. We decided to fight the bear if needs be. Mike grabbed two large tree branches and handed one to Don. I had some police Oleo resin capsicum (pepper spray) that I brought just for bears, just in case. We were all shaking in fear as the bear looked our way. An overwhelming fear came over me and I heard a jet boat coming up the river. Mike waved the jet boat down. The jet boat was full of river fishing guides and they were all packing 45 colts. We jumped on the boat as fast as Stacie jumps on the bed after scaring herself that someone is following her. Sorry I had to add an inside joke. Anyways the guides got off the boat and shot and killed the bear. A second bigger bear arrived as well and the guides shot and killed that one as well but it ran off and was not found. As everybody knows I am a cop and I have been in many fights with prisoners. I have dealt with knives, guns etc.. and I have never been more scared than this episode with the black bear that could have killed us all. See ya.

3 comments:

  1. Kevin you are so funny. I am so glad that you are not dead. But hey how about next time you BRING YOUR GUN!!!!!!!Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I can just see Don enjoying his nap and then jumping out of his pants. So glad you guys didn't have to fight the bear. LOL.
    What an exciting story to tell . . .FOREVER. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev, I have an idea just direct it's attention to something else, like you do to people:-) Love Ya!!!

    ReplyDelete